PSF Internship Profile: Jessica Schulte

Name: Jessica Schulte
Major: Social Work
Internship Site: Pitt County Council on Aging

How did you hear about the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program and why were you interested in being a part of the program?
I first discovered this program through an email sent to the Honors College from Dr. Todd Fraley. I was interested because the internships were with non-profits, are paid and lasted through the summer. Also, from the job descriptions, the internship duties seemed professionally fulfilling as opposed to simple busy work.

Why were you interested in your internship site? What drew you to your site?
Originally, I did not apply for the internship I was placed in. I received an email asking if I would be interested in applying to other positions that were looking for social work majors and I agreed.

What are some of your daily tasks/major projects that you’ve worked on this summer during your internship?
I am a marketing and design intern, so my daily tasks involve managing the social media platforms of the organization, making flyers and designing the monthly newsletters. Some big projects that I’m working on right now are collecting participant surveys from seniors that come to the centers (located in Ayden, Bethel, Greenville, Farmville and Fountain) regularly and writing a detailed marketing plan for the organization. I am also in charge of recruiting local restaurants every month to do fundraisers benefiting the Meals on Wheels program.

What’s been your favorite part of your internship?
My favorite part has been talking to the seniors and designing the flyers. The people at the senior center are super nice and I like how designing flyers and social media graphics brings out my creative side. Doing participant surveys helped me build relationships with our congregates (the folks that come in almost every day) because they could not fill out the forms themselves, allowing me to speak to them about the center. I was surprised to see that so many of them are incredibly sweet and kind-hearted, and it changed my perception about senior citizens for the better.

How have you seen yourself grow or your skills improve during your internship?
I feel that I have learned a lot about graphic design and marketing. Before this experience, I had only worked in restaurant settings, so this was my first office job. From being out of my comfort zone I have also learned more about myself, so I do think this internship has helped me grow. I was lucky enough to have a great supervisor that genuinely cares about my success and will teach me how to do the best that I can for the job.

How do you believe your site benefits through your internship?
The staff at the COA is very small in comparison to the amount of people they serve, so each person has a lot to do each day. I am able to help out and it lessens the work load of everyone else, I feel that I am doing the place some good.

Do you have any plans to continue in this type of work after your internship?
I am not interested in pursuing a future in marketing, but I am now considering working with the senior population as a social worker.

How do you believe you’ve improved the lives of local community members through your internship? If so, how?
I think I have indirectly made a positive difference to seniors in Pitt County through marketing because I am connecting people to their available resources.

What advice would you give students that are interested in participating in the PSF internship program?
I would tell them to put a lot of time and effort in the application process, research every organization that you apply to and not to be afraid of something that is new.