PSF Internship Profile: Raquel Nicholson

Name: Raquel Nicholson
Major: Social Work
Internship Site: The Boys and Girls Club of The Coastal Plains

How did you hear about the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program and why were you interested in being a part of the program?
I heard from my field placement coordinator Mrs. LaTonya Gaskins. I wanted to challenge myself and do something I’d never done before.

Why were you interested in your internship site? What drew you to your site?
I love working with kids, whether they are small or teenagers. I love seeing what they have to say about certain topics. The kids drew me because each child is different and has their own opinion.

What are some of your daily tasks/major projects that you’ve worked on this summer during your internship?
I have worked on getting a new program called Club 105 together for The Boys and Girls Club of The Coastal Plains.

What’s been your favorite part of your internship?
Networking and meeting new people.

How have you seen yourself grow or your skills improve during your internship?
I have progressed in my networking style and  my communication skills have improved. I am now able to join in on the professional conversation by having that confidence.

How do you believe your site benefits through your internship?
They will now have a program that will reward the kids for their attendance. In creating this program, we wanted to keep fun in mind while making sure the kids are getting their attendance. Statistics shows that when kids go 105 days they get the best experience out of The Boys and Girls Club of The Coastal Plains. Statistics also shows that they will have a higher chance at graduating high school.

Do you have any plans to continue in this type of work after your internship?
Yes, I would love to get together with the town of Belhaven mayor and talk about getting a program like this. Maybe it’ll increase the drive for a better education and a brighter future.

How do you believe you’ve improved the lives of local community members through your internship? If so, how?
As I said before, the kids are benefiting from this program which will also influence their parents. When kids are getting a great view on education they will want to continue that well after high school. Overall, this internship has taught me a lot.

What advice would you give students that are interested in participating in the PSF internship program?
Go with an open heart. You will get nervous and that is normal. Use it as fuel so that you gain the best experience out of it. Network at every event it gives great practice as well as a chance to get your name as well as ECU name out there.