PSF Internship Profile: Cassie Meyer

Name: Cassie Meyer
Major: Applied Sociology
Internship Site: City Of Greenville

How did you hear about the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program and why were you interested in being a part of the program?
I first heard about this opportunity from an email sent to my class of sociology majors from one of our department heads. I had also heard about the internship from a friend and a couple classmates who participated last year.

Why were you interested in your internship site? What drew you to the site?
I was drawn to the site less because of the site itself and more because I supported the program initiative they were seeking an intern for. Additionally, I was interested in getting work experience in government because, up to this point, most of my career-related experience came from the classroom and privately-funded research. I wanted some insight into how municipal governments operate, since we learn so much in school about state and federal governments, but so little about smaller, local governments.

What are some of your daily tasks/major projects that you’ve worked on this summer during your internship?
I was hired to create a business guide for the City of Greenville featuring locally-owned businesses within Greenville’s municipality owned by women or racial or ethnic minorities. I was initially drawn to the project because, as a sociologist, I am aware that modern society disproportionately imposes structural disadvantages upon certain people and not others. Therefore, I supported the initiative and was happy that my own community was taking actual steps toward a more equitable experience for a sizeable-but-still-marginalized portion of the population. I was tasked with identifying, contacting, and interviewing female and minority business owners to include them in the directory/business guide. In the timeframe allotted, I identified and connected with 565 businesses, practices, firms and enterprises, all located within the city’s extra territorial jurisdiction.

What’s been your favorite part of your internship?
My favorite part of my internship is the internship in and of itself! Not only is the work meaningful to me, but I also feel as though it has been a “real-world simulation” of sorts. I have my own private office with a lovely view of Uptown, my own desktop computer, my own desk phone with my own private line (meaning I have my very own phone number) and an official City Of Greenville email address! The whole experience has really given me so much — the opportunity to test drive a career, a private workspace with friendly, helpful staff down the hall and a project to complete that I believe in and enjoy working on.

How have you seen yourself grow or your skills improve during your internship?
Before my internship began, I was aware of the goals of the project and that I would need to speak with many different people. I knew that there would need to be cultural sensitivity involved, and I knew I would need to actively be respectful when asking race-, ethnicity-, or gender-centered questions. However, until I went out and met with folks or spoke to them on the phone, I found that no amount of mentally preparing myself would be able to replace hands-on field experience. I met people who saw me as an enemy, perhaps because I am working for the city government, perhaps because I am a white person working on this project intended to uplift people of color, or perhaps because I appeared authoritarian in my business attire and notebook. Either way, some people refused to tell me their names, a few wouldn’t let me in, and some were offended by the goals of the project and were rude and dismissive in response. I quickly learned that understanding cultural sensitivity and being culturally sensitive are two disconnected things. I have learned about different groups of people, read about their cultural norms, observed interactions on TV and in books, but none of that prepared me for dynamic interaction with folks who have been socialized to see the government (or even perhaps the racial majority) as an enemy. This experience has prepared me to be a more natural conversationalist, a more respectful researcher, a more patient individual and a more effective professional.

How do you believe your site benefits through your internship?
Primarily, I believe the City Of Greenville benefited from my work because I completed an economic development project (the guide). Additionally, when I went out into the community to conduct interviews, I made contact with hundreds of small business owners and furthered people’s awareness of the city’s economic development efforts and opportunities. I feel that in addition to collecting data for the city I also served as a liaison between the city and women and minority business owners and helped spread the word about their initiatives.

Do you have any plans to continue in this type of work after your internship?
I do not have any plans to continue working in government at any level. I am interested in more policy-based work aimed to benefit marginalized people.

How do you believe you’ve improved the lives of local community members through your internship?
I believe, for the majority of business owners, that it was hugely positive to be acknowledged, recognized, and validated by the city government. Many owners couldn’t believe I had found them, mostly because they didn’t have an online presence, and many were overjoyed to hear that a customer or friend had told me about them. Simply recognizing people and reminding them that they matter and that the government cares about their business ventures has a profound impact on people, especially those who are not often recognized positively. I think even if I didn’t create the guide as a final product, it was helpful to the majority of business owners to have the city make contact with them and give them a business card of someone whom they could use as a resource in the future. And of course, the guide will benefit these people by bringing them publicity, and for those who do not currently have an internet presence, their business will exist on a reputable Web page.

What advice would you give students who are interested in participating in the PSF internship program?
My advice to students interested in the PSF internship program is to absolutely apply! Even if the work isn’t something that you will continue once you graduate, the experience will grow you as a person, student, co-worker, and professional. Additionally, it is an amazing networking opportunity. I met students assigned to other internship sites, staff in the city’s municipal building, and wonderful members of the Greenville community whom I would never have met if it weren’t for my internship experience.