PSF Internship Profile: Jenny Basil

Name: Jenny Basil
Major: Urban and Regional Planning
Internship Site: AMEXCAN

How did you hear about the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program and why were you interested in being a part of the program?
My professors showed us the sight and encouraged us to apply. I was interested because all the organizations were nonprofits and it is my goal someday to work for a nonprofit.

Why were you interested in your internship site? What drew you to your site?
The involvement with 4H because I was in 4H for nine years as a kid.

What are some of your daily tasks/major projects that you’ve worked on this summer during your internship?
Starting an English as a Second Language class, working closely with the 4H group, running a youth summer camp and doing a lot of community outreach.

What’s been your favorite part of your internship?
Getting to go to events and experience programs and presentations that I otherwise would never have known about

How have you seen yourself grow or your skills improve during your internship?
I have learned a lot about the Latino/Hispanic community. I have developed better public speaking skills and better listening skills. Because of the language barrier, it has challenged me to have to communicate with people in a different way.

How do you believe your site benefits through your internship?
I have a lot of knowledge in 4H that I was able to share with them. I also think that this organization really does rely greatly on its interns for support for every aspect of the organization.

Do you have any plans to continue in this type of work after your internship?
I would love to continue to work with the community in the future.

How do you believe you’ve improved the lives of local community members through your internship? If so, how?
For the people in our ESL class I think that I am teaching them a language that is very important for their everyday life. It is amazing how much someone can learn when they are encouraged and have the right support. I truly do feel like I am impacting their lives and I am making a big difference for the language barrier they struggle with every day.

What advice would you give students that are interested in participating in the PSF internship program?
Find an internship that truly interest you because it will become your life during that time you do it. Also try reaching out to the organization before you officially sign as intern there so that you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.