PSF Internship Profile: Tristen Newell

Name: Tristen Newell
Major: Recreation and Park Management
Internship Site: Windsor/Bertie Chamber of Commerce

How did you hear about the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program and why were you interested in being a part of the program?
One of my professors who is aware of the SECU Public Service Fellows internship program told me that they thought I would be a good fit for the program and encouraged me to apply.

Why were you interested in your internship site? What drew you to your site?
One of my professors does tourism research in the Windsor area and she knows my professional interests, which are municipal government and tourism. Once she exposed me to this opportunity, it drew me to the Windsor/Bertie Chamber immediately, especially because I’m from a small rural town in eastern North Carolina, like Windsor.

What are some of your daily tasks/major projects that you’ve worked on this summer during your internship?
Over the course of this internship I’ve helped my site supervisor keep an organized and ongoing list of chamber members and their membership status along with helping to organize the two events held in Windsor this summer, the Fourth of July fireworks event and the annual Sage Festival. Additionally, I wrote a newspaper article on the Cashie River Treehouses explaining what this destination has to offer, the background of the project, the funding aspects of the project and other details. The article was posted in the Bertie Ledger-Advance on July 25 and will soon be incorporated in the next edition of Eastern Living magazine.

What’s been your favorite part of your internship?
My favorite part of this internship has been learning about the people and places that make up this community, along with learning more about the economic status and issues of the Town of Windsor and Bertie County. Bertie County shares a lot of the issues that my region, Camden County, currently has and I’ve learned how the chamber can act as the glue for local businesses in the community when taking a hands-on approach. Lewis, my internship supervisor and chamber director, has done a phenomenal job of creating an inclusive environment for all businesses in the Town of Windsor and Bertie County, which is a vital asset to possess in a small rural town when times are tight.

How have you seen yourself grow or your skills improve during your internship?
I have seen my effective communication skills develop, especially when speaking to an audience. Additionally, I have obtained a better grasp of the chamber’s operations and how they communicate efficiently with local, state and federal officials and advisory committees to help foster positive economic growth in a small and rural environment. With my current interest being in municipal government I can say that I’ve learned a great deal about the day-to-day operations of local government entities in a rural community, especially those of a chamber of commerce.

How do you believe your site benefits through your internship?
I believe that the Windsor/Bertie Chamber of Commerce reaps multiple benefits from interns such as myself. With only one full-time employee and one volunteer, it’s safe to say that they are slightly understaffed. That being said, I’ve been an aid for the chamber through my organization, communication, planning and coordination efforts. These efforts have been used for a variety of reasons including updating and organizing chamber members’ membership status, preparing membership renewal letters, communicating effectively with community stakeholders, helping plan the two events this summer and coordinating with event vendors in order to ensure fluidity throughout the duration of the events.

Do you have any plans to continue in this type of work after your internship?
Yes. This internship experience has exposed me to the operations and processes of not only the chamber of commerce, but to other municipal government entities and their roles in a community as well. Additionally, I have come to the conclusion that I would enjoy working in a community role because I find pleasure in helping local businesses thrive and giving all citizens equal opportunities to enjoy local amenities.

How do you believe you’ve improved the lives of local community members through your internship? If so, how?
I believe that I’ve been a reliable resource for citizens of the Bertie County area by relaying information about the community to both citizens and outsiders, helping local chamber members maintain their membership by explaining the benefits of the chamber, and assisting the Chamber in planning and organizing their two major summer events.

What advice would you give students that are interested in participating in the PSF internship program?
I would tell students interested in the PSF internship program that it is a wonderful opportunity to get real-world job experience under your belt and a rare chance to land a paid internship. In addition, I would tell students to do some research on the internship program that they believe they’re most interested in because sometimes internships aren’t always as they seem. Once the students receive the internship opportunity, I would recommend that they get in touch with their internship supervisor to go over daily expectations on site and what the internship supervisor’s long-term aspirations are for the student.