Student Profile: Hannah Black

ECU undergraduate researcher Hannah Black is examining workout routines to keep athletes safe in the weight room.

Major: Health Fitness Specialist

Mentor: Dr. Andrew Vermiglio

Department: Department of Kinesiology

Project Title: “High Intensity Weightlifting Mechanical Analysis”

Hannah’s study is about weightlifting technique and how it changes from the beginning of a Crossfit workout to the end. Participants must lift the same weight for 30 repetitions as fast as they can. The goal of the study is to pinpoint technical errors so that coaches know what to watch out for during workouts to help protect their athletes.

How did you get involved in undergraduate research?

I got involved in undergraduate research the summer heading into my senior year to fulfill a Kinesiology elective requirement. I was also really interested in Biomechanics and wanted to spend as much time in the lab as possible.

Why did you choose your research topic?

I chose weightlifting as my research topic because it’s something that I love doing and studying. I also love working with athletes and helping them be the best that they can be.

What’s been your favorite part of conducting undergraduate research?

My favorite part of conducting undergraduate research has been getting to meet new athletes and fellow researchers. It’s amazing how many people who were willing to help and teach me.

What challenges have you faced while conducting undergraduate research?

The biggest challenge I faced while conducting undergraduate research was understanding just how much goes into completing my own study. There was so much more to research than I had ever thought in the past.

Why is your research important for the average person?

My research is import to the everyday person because anyone can do Crossfit. Crossfit has transformed so many lives and has made physical activity more accessible and fun for people of all fitness levels.

What’s your ultimate goal or accomplishment that you hope your research will help you achieve?

The ultimate goal that I hope my research helps me achieve is getting into graduate school so I can continue to research, work with athletes and learn.

Do you have any advice for other students interested in conducting undergraduate research?

My advice for other students interested in conducting undergraduate research would be find something that you’re really interested and try to find a way to make it better. You’re going to be spending a ton of time learning and talking about it so try to find something that you love. Always ask your professors how you can get involved and don’t be afraid to apply for a grant.