ECU Postdoc Benefits
Explore different benefits and resources provided to current postdoctoral scholars by the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Medical and Vision Benefits
In order to recruit the highest quality doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars to support our significant and growing research enterprise, ECU offers health insurance to all postdoctoral scholars at no charge. Additionally, scholars can also opt to have their dependents covered under this health insurance plan for a fee.
To quality for this benefit, postdoctoral scholars must be on an active postdoctoral assignment of at least .75 FTE paid through the university payroll system. Postdoctoral students covered under another health insurance plan may decline coverage; international postdoctoral scholars must meet federal requirements in order to decline coverage.
- Insurance Enrollment Form (PDF)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical Benefits
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical Benefits Summary (PDF)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Members Guide (PDF)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Vision Benefits Summary
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Vision Member Guide (PDF)
All J-1 exchange visitors are required to have medical insurance in effect for themselves for the duration of their exchange program, and for accompanying spouse and dependents while they are in United States during the exchange visitor’s program. Exchange visitors are required to have:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of U.S. $25,000; and
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of U.S. $50,000.
A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds U.S. $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the Exchange Visitor Program regulations, 22 CFR Part 62.14. If you choose to decline the postdoctoral insurance, then you will need to purchase alternative insurance through Geoblue. Please contact the Office of Global Affairs at via phone at +1-252-328-1938 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Gap Insurance Requirement: To help cover you until your new insurance policy becomes effective, you may be required to secure gap insurance.