International Postdocs

Visa Quick Links


International Postdoc Resources

This section is intended to help international applicants and appointed postdoctoral scholars navigate the required administrative steps and adjust smoothly to their new home in the United States.

ECU’s Office of Global Affairs and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs provide administrative advising and programming needs for international students, staff and faculty. They are a valuable resource at ECU and we encourage you and your sponsoring department to contact them early in the process of becoming a postdoctoral scholar.

Additionally, the National Postdoctoral Association offers extensive guidance on many common issues for international postdocs and provides an International Postdoc Survival Guide.


International Postdoc Extramural Funding Resources

Extramural funding sources are available to international postdoctoral scholars. Review the curated list of extramural funding sources online.


Medical Insurance Coverage Information

All J-1 exchange visitors are required by law to have medical insurance in effect for themselves for the duration of their exchange program, and for accompanying spouse and dependents while they are in United States during the exchange visitor’s program. Exchange visitors are required to have:

  1. Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  2. Repatriation of remains in the amount of U.S. $25,000; and
  3. Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of U.S. $50,000. A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements shall not have a deductible that exceeds U.S. $500 per accident or illness, and must meet other standards specified in the Exchange Visitor Program regulations, 22 CFR Part 62.14.

Once you officially begin your appointment with ECU you will be eligible to receive health insurance at no charge that covers the above requirements. However, if you plan to arrive to the U.S. prior to the first day or your appointment you will need to secure coverage until ECU insurance begins. Also, if you choose to decline the postdoctoral insurance, then you will need to purchase alternative insurance through Geoblue. Please contact the Office of Global Affairs and the Postdoctoral Affairs for more information.


Visa Applications

J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

If you are applying for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa please contact the Office of Global Affairs

Contact: Saige Freidel, International Student and Scholar Program Coordinator
Phone number: +1-(252)-328-1938

Learn more about apply for a J-1 Visa using the ECU Postdoc Association J-1 Visa Road Map.


TN, H-1B, Permanent Resident Visas

If you are applying for a TN, H-1B, Permanent Resident, and any visa other than J-1 or F-1/OPT, please contact:

Contact: Traci Brown
Phone number: +1-(252)-737-5426

Learn more about apply for a H-1B using the ECU Postdoc Association H-1B Visa Guidelines.


F-1/OPT Visa

If you are on an F-1/OPT visa, please contact ECU’s Office of international Student Advisement.

Contact: Dr. William Mallett, Assistant Director of International Student Advisement
Phone number: +1-(252)-328-1939


Settling into Greenville and ECU

Keep in mind that before arriving to the United States, you will need to secure enough funding to cover housing, food and other necessities prior to receiving your first paycheck. Postdoctoral scholars are paid on the same schedule as all other ECU staff members, and there may be a delay in getting your paycheck depending on when you arrive and how quickly your paperwork is processed. Do not hesitate to talk with your mentor or the departmental administrative assistant about arrangements for airport pickup, queries on what you need to do or bring with you to make your transition to the United States easier, and any additional questions or concerns you may have.

The following resources are provided for international postdocs to help them settle into ECU:

Facebook logo