Graphic Design Support
Support is available for faculty and staff in need of help with graphic design projects.
University Creative Services
As part of our campus community, you have access to the university’s full-service, on-campus provider of promotional and marketing materials at no charge to you (aside from printing costs). Creative Services works with you to understand your needs to develop creative solutions. You can contact Creative Services to create a brochure, postcard, radio spot, video, website, custom illustration or any other marketing materials. All work produced by Creative Services automatically meets brand standards.
Creative Services consistently handles a heavy workload, and all requests should be submitted at least 4-6 weeks in advance.
University Printing & Graphics (UPG)
UPG has two designers on staff to help with ECU design needs. The normal turn-around time is 7 to 10 business days. UPG follows the same design and branding guidelines as Creative Services. You will be provided a final, print-ready PDF file once approved.
Design rate: $70 per hour + $30 for final PDF
To request design support, submit an online order for each piece you need designed.
In the online order form, select:
- General Printing
- Pick any type of paper
- Quantity 1
- Description: brochure, flyer, etc – design only
Creating Your Own
If you feel you have the time, the skills and access to the right tools, you can design your own material.
Please note: Anything you create representing ECU will need to be approved by Creative Services Logo Review. The approval process will take up to 24 hours at the most but is typically returned to you the same day.
Here are some Creative Services-approved templates for flyers and social post creation:
Here are key tips to keep in mind when creating your own material:
- Items must adhere to ECU Branding: Top 10 Branding Tips
- For header text, use Museo Slab font; for body text, use the Avenir Next font family. If you do not have Museo Slab or Avenir Next fonts, you may use variations of the Adobe Garamond font family for your header and body.
- There must be at least one element of ECU purple in your design. Stick to the ECU color palette or neutral colors throughout.
- Always use an official ECU logo (main logo, department logo, college/school logo) and never alter it. If you cannot get the proper logo from your department admin, request it from email@example.com.
- Never use more than one ECU logo in your design.
- A registered trademark symbol is needed after the first use of East Carolina University® or ECU®.
- Include the non-discrimination statement on all material:
East Carolina University prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the following protected classes: race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation and veteran status (including relationship or association with a protected veteran; or Active Duty or National Guard service).
- Any material promoting an event requires at least the abbreviated ADA statement:
ADA Accommodation: ADA-Coordinator@ecu.edu, 252-737-1018
Or: For ADA accommodation, please contact our office at [include your office’s contact information].
- Submit all design material to ECU Logo Review for approval before sending out any communication with ECU branding elements. Note: For research study material, Logo Review will only look for proper use of logos, fonts and colors. For any issues that hold up the approval process, contact Leslie Craigle.
If you have questions regarding your design, proper logo, fonts, or colors, contact Creative Services for assistance at (252) 328-6037 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also reach out to your Communication Liaison.